Click Ad to Tp or for LM

Friday, September 19, 2008

Second Life's Doom?



Ammon Pera sent me on a bit of an assignment, recently, to look into some new techonologies and Virtual Reality ventures looming on our collective horizon, and post an article. At first, I thought, oh, man, another venture onto one of those “wannabe” SL competitors, usually first-person shoot-em-ups, that seem to sprout like weeds, and die off with every season. A recent one I looked into, unassigned, was Entropia Universe, which to me, was a possible “keeper”, but would require too much time away from Second Life for the “learning curve” to get going in it. The interface seemed a bit “clunky” and non-intuitive, but in all fairness, I didn’t stay in-world very long. I may yet play this one awhile, just to see if I can get some help from the guides within, and meet a few of the residents.


Next, the product I looked at left me not only interested, but greatly concerned that the engine we all know and love and lag around in, from the infamous Linden Labs, can now count it’s days as numbered.

Enter the stunner: Korea's "Nurien."

I checked out the trailer and downloaded the tech demo of Korea’s new “Nurien” world… and my knees buckled. As one who really loves the fashion, “avatology” and humanistic aspects of Second Life, Nurien promises to blow the socks off of Linden’s little kingdom, and the PHysX and Unreal Engine 3 technology employed, along with avatars with something on the order of 135 incorporated “bones” allowing the most realistic and stunning motion and animation capabilities, all I could do was stare, in awe, at the demo.

Nurien has also drawn the attention of many well known clothing designers such as Prada and Gucci. The difference in fashion between Nurien and Second Life makes the interest self-explanitory. We all know the aggravation of the “flexi-prim”, that ubiquitous “fabric” of Second Life, that falls thru our virtual “bodies” unlike any real fabric we’ve ever seen. In Nurien, fabric is flexible, bouncy, moves with the breeze, drapes over the avatar in a completely real fashion, and I’d predict that those with a fascination for virtual fashion design will absolutely flock to this new platform. It’s nothing short of stunning! No wonder great RL designers are taking notice of this great platform.

And as for the avatars, themselves; we’re talking “photoreal” here, so far ahead of even the best SL avatar “skins” or designs, as to be almost frightening. They breathe smoothly and evenly, their eyes tear up and sparkle, mouths and tongues (and hopefully other “bits”) look perceptibly “wet”, and the movement and “walk” mechanisms are completely fluid and natural-appearing.

If the technologies employed in Nurien can be presented on a stable, reliable, and relatively lag-free platform, this VR “game” is going to blow away anything else in the marketplace, and undoubtedly steal away a significant number of SL residents. Several big name companies have already left the Lindens' creation for Nurien. I cannot help but wonder if the Lindens are awake, aware, and not “asleep at the switch”, and will port their servers to this technology, (if it’s even available to competitors). Judging from past experience with just the Havoc4 upgrades, they ain’t got a chance. Nurien is my next online home, I have a feeling, and for an “avatologist like me, the dresses, negligees, and flouncy fabrics will hang from every portion of my swishy anatomy, right there next to my grin. Yeah, don’t look any lower, for now.

30 comments:

Ammon Pera said...

...this will be in the states starting next Sept. and yes BMW and a few other huge names in sl pulled out and moved already to Nurien. Could there be a possible virtual astroid coming and wipe out much of our virtual existence. We will have to see.

Anonymous said...

Oh man, I heard about this too sweeping Korea currently. If anything does this will definetly be the one to kill second life.

Anonymous said...

Nuuuu... not after I spent all that time building my house!

Boot Janus said...

Anyone able to download... I can only see koren registration and downloads. The demos dont work

DeMerick Creeley said...

I love watching this video. The avs show so much personality. And bare knees don't poke through the fabric. If Nurien allows the same depth of user created content as Second Life, it's going to take over. Unless major changes are made (which would mean bugs for SL...lots of bugs).

Anonymous said...

WOW WOW WOW I am so there. SL your on your way out unless you do something and quickly.

Anonymous said...

AMAZING. Great story.

Anonymous said...

me too so there.

Anonymous said...

It is known that sl is being watched very carefully and people aren't investing as they once did. There once flowing businesses may be soon ending. People feel with the new virtual coming is going to make sl a ghost town. The games is currently in use in Korea and is blowing everyone away. I also am looking forward to buying rl top designs to wear. Cign me up.

Anonymous said...

People in sl like to think they are safe but nothing is safe. Someone is always getting ready to take over and dominate. Again sl is a game and should never have been looked upon as a life long income or an easy out. If you spent your bank in sl you were an idiot.

Anonymous said...

This video kills Kirk and maddox's wannabe runnway shows. I was there last week for a show and everything was gray and lag. That will be my final show because it is really useless. Same people and same old fashion you can't even see. Why do people go and invest the time when it is pointless in the end for everyone. The people that go already know the designers and there is no press for them. It really is a lost cause. I'm sorry guys every show I am invited to is a thumbs down.

Franziskus said...

Hey, Mikey! Thanks for the article. This looks awwwwwesome in the video. I got just a little problem... maybe I'm blond today, but: Is there an English version too? I only see Korean. And my knowledge of Korean is not soooo good (means: zero). Don't wanna give my "ok" to something that I can't even read :(
So, I just hope, that Linden Labs will wake up and make changes... as soon as they managed the little lag-problem.

Anonymous said...

Very true refering to the comment above. It's the same old bunch that goes there. I rather go to the main stores and look myself. At least no lag and everything rezzes.

Kirk provides shows and gives free stores out to the designers at his fucking ugly sim so it brings more business for his shape store. He doen't care about the designers.

If your looking for the best shapes in sl Q-design. They have over 350 shapes.

.

Anonymous said...

A well-written piece, I always look forward to reading MTD's articles. Amazing video and very natural looking, and well, Nurien, it's something we will all try when it goes mainstream, I'm certain.

I'm slow to predict the end of Second Life as much has been invested emotionally and financially over the years, with groups or individuals having many sims, for example. A wrench to lose those, as they represent an investment of $1000s.

And there will always be those who prefer the retro comfort of staying where they feel safe and involved. Nevertheless, time marches on! Aspirations change, and as always, if you're not flexible enough to jump with the majority trend, you're flushed!

Anonymous said...

...mouths and tongues (and hopefully other “bits”) look perceptibly “wet”...

LOL :P

Anonymous said...

Absolutely stunning work from the creators of this virtual game. If it incorporates all the advantages of sl then its going to blow it completely out of the water, thats for sure. Having just gone and looked at the online demo, it's impressive to say the least. Yet, despite its amazing graphics, flouncy clothing, it appears to be somewhat limited in what the end user can actually achieve. Yes, you can create clothes via the in built system that allows for thousands of variations etc. However, there is no mention of the possibility of being able to build shops etc to sell the creations that you may make. Perhaps this will come in the final version, who knows, but suffice to say, its going to be one hell of a game to play. Looking forward to seeing it when it is realeased in the USA next year.

Anonymous said...

The Engish version will be arriving bt mid sep. 09 and this is going to be un like anything seen before. everything does change and nothing is perm. I am so excited to give it a shot.

Anonymous said...

Watched the video a few times and the movement of hair and clothing is something else. Has anyone noticed - the avatars have shadows! I hope there are shops as that has been the pull of Second Life. If designers like Prada and Gucci are there, then I guess their products must be able to be transferred to players somehow. Best of all, this is a chance to get in at the start and root around for opportunities! Thank you in advance inV for making me rich! :)

Anonymous said...

OMG this is something else. I just read all the info and it looks like this really could kill sl. I have sent this link to everyone. We are loving the daily.

I also went to Q designs for a new shape (so much better than kmad shapes).

Anonymous said...

Loving the daily too. I have been addicted from day one and loving all the posts. Great job daily staff. This virtual game looks stunning. this will give people with rl educations and rl companies a chance to market their abilities like nothing before. ching ching.

Someone said Home Depot is considering partnering as well. This is the future in virtual. Lets buy stocks.

Anonymous said...

Q designs for shapes rawks. best place for shapes.

Anonymous said...

this is only a tech demo, i have downloadet the tech demo...and i must say...it look nice!! but my pc works with 10 fps then ;D a better slideshow :( ...and no..my pc is not to old :D but thanks MTD for the post :D the other thing is, i woud like to see more hot boys in the game :D hehe :D

Anonymous said...

Wow thats awesome video, really similar for SL's model runway!!!

Anonymous said...

WOW! I just DL'd the player and watched the vids. This makes SL look like something Nurien started with 10 years ago LOL. If Nurien offers the same freedoms with building, teraforming, shopping, and streaming- I think there will be a mass exodus from SL soon as it's available in the english version! If they've accomplished this much with avatars and flexi prims (as complex as they are) imagine what the textures for houses, landscapes, etc will look like! I can't wait!

Larz

Anonymous said...

I feel bad for all the people thinking they were making a smart move in here investing in land. Well I guess not really easy come and easy go. People that came into sl making it rl income messed it up for many people in my opinion. It a game and it is for fun for the majority of people. Over pricing has gotten way out of hand and people are just plain greedy. I hope the game takes a hard hit wake these low lifes up that made it a rl business.

Anonymous said...

WOW - It looks awesome. BUT there's one big disadvantage Nurien has: In order to run it smoothly you'll need a real fast machine or your lag is even worse than in SL. Even my new computer (a 4 months old dual core + nvidia 8800 graphics card) could only run the demo version at 8 fps compared to the 60 fps i get playing SL. Now imagine all the people with slower computers.

Anonymous said...

I hardly think the 8,000,000 Koreans playing now have the best computer. Maybe yours is just really bad. Time to get new one maybe.

Anonymous said...

I agree people that came in to profit ruined the game. Not all but alot. The pricing is way out of control. The most stupid thing to now is buy land. BAD BAD BAD investment.

Anonymous said...

I wouldn't predict the demise of SL too soon.

The demo was exactly that, showcasing NVidia's graphics and physics engine (basically NVidia's PHYSx engine which moves physics calculations out of the CPU onto the GPU). As such, it pulled out all the stops to show what could be done with a medium to high end graphics system. The demo warns 'if you don't have (Nvidia's 8xxx series) then some features will be lost'. I would like to see what happens when you get 60-100 people in viewing distance, all with clothing breezing around .. there's some serious physics calculations going on there.

Having said that, the Havok physics engine, which underpins SL, is also looking to implement GPU hardware acceleration, so SL may get some life breathed into it in the future

It'll be interesting to see how Nurien develops. At the moment it has nowhere near the amount of interactivity of SL. I think that Nurien is limited to 3 sub-games .. dancing, a fashion show and a sort of chat room, but I'm sure it will expand.

So, interesting times. It shows what can be done and any competition is good for the game since it focusses development, but I wouldn't sell your land/business yet!

Anonymous said...

It looks absolutely amazing and yes, of course we will all need a video-card of the next generation, and faster processors and..... but hey, that's always been the case. Life goes fast and if this comes to EUR I'll be standing in line.

For the time being, I enjoy my sim, pay the rent and just have a great time.
And for all those who think that hobbies are for free, WAKE UP. Only the sun shines for free!