Click Ad to Tp or for LM

Friday, September 5, 2008

cont. of BloodLines


Greetings, Second-Lifers!

In my recent post on the BloodLines vampire role-play for Second Life, I documented my experience with this “dark” role play genre, and my distaste for such pursuits, and promised, via a blog comment that I’d do a follow-on piece consisting of my own “Interview with a Vampire”.

Well, dear reader, I’ve conducted that interview, not with one, but with two of my “friends” from Second Life, who valued my friendship enough to be rather upset with me for removing them from my friends list, and invited me to discuss the issues that led to my actions.

Also, in one of the responses to this blog, I was taken to task by an “anonymous” comment that noted that I, while claiming not to “moralize” about dark role play, had done just that. Touché, “anonymous”! I wish you didn’t hide your identity, as I’d love further dialogue with someone so obviously capable of sharp analysis and constructive criticism; one is never too much of an “old dog” to learn a new trick or two, even from someone much younger.

First off, let me recount something worth documenting here, in relation to my experience with the BloodLines product:

Their own website and terms of service state that by messaging certain key personnel, one may have one’s data removed from their records. I contacted the “maker” of the products, received a polite and prompt reply that my data and avatar name would, indeed, be removed, and was quite happy with that result. Then, on Tuesday morning, Sept. 2, after the long “Labor Day” weekend, I returned to work to find that my corporate “Inbox” contained a Google Alert with a link directly to the BloodLines website, where I am documented as having my “soul” owned by another Second Life account name, as having been “bitten” four times, and as having a “Clan” membership, and as being only “82% human”. This information is stored on a public website, and is now also stored on my corporate email server. Just a note of caution to those who think that their Second Life activities can have no effect on their real life pursuits; as of this date, September 5th, the information is still resident on the BloodLines public website, and I’m debating legal recourse to have it removed.

Now, to the gist of this post, and a much more positive note:

I spoke at length with a couple of friends involved in dark role play, and specifically in the BloodLines vampire “game”, and came away with a renewed appreciation for the nature of these pursuits, as well as a somewhat lessened sense of revulsion at the topical characteristics thereof. It seems that for many, playing these games merely represents a sense of “family” within Second Life, and a like-minded affinity for a movie- or literature-based form of “play”, all regarded as pure fantasy and fun, and allowing the participants to cultivate a sense of “belonging” or affinity with one another, quite harmless and in fact contributory to their sense of well being. I still don’t embrace the menace, the blood-related nature of it all, but I think I’ve learned that perception is everything, and for those who’ve done RP for long periods, the benefits can far outweigh the negatives in these online (and sometimes real-life) pursuits.

One of these friends spoke to me at length of his multi-year history of dark role play in text-based forms, and of his own efforts, when faced with depressive or behaviorally affected personalities who perhaps shouldn’t be involved in such activities, in contacting the FBI or other agencies of assistance, in the interests of preventing potential suicide or homicide related to the RPG “actor” in question. Of course, my thought is that if one is mentally imbalanced, prone to depression or rage, or under treatment for such maladies as bipolar disorder, schizophrenia, and the like, perhaps dark RP is just something that should be left completely alone; for me, at least, that is my personal decision, and I still would not spend one minute in pursuit of blood, slavery, or other potentially depressing topical content.

I also spoke with a dear Second Life friend about “dark role play” in general, someone who is close to me, and who shares my distaste toward the objectification of people represented in Gorean slave-trading, for instance. However, she recounted to me an incident in which she had messaged a Gorean “slaver”, who had appeared in a public venue in Second Life, with his group of three “slaves” in tow, and had asked him what possible joy he could derive from such activities. The response, to one like myself who is repulsed by the “roles” but always intrigued by human nature, was nothing short of highly educational and thought provoking. The individual told my friend, in private conversation, that he is a quadriplegic, totally dependent upon others to take care of even his most mundane of daily needs. He cannot urinate, defecate, feed, or cleanse himself, without asking someone else to help him or to actually perform these tasks we all take so for granted. So, when he uses Second Life, he chooses the power, influence, and independence of being a “Master”, and capturing submissives, then controlling their activities, which gives him a sense of control and power that he’ll never achieve in his real life, and a therapeutic “outlet” perhaps, for his frustration at the powerlessness of his real, physical state. Wow, makes one step back and consider!

I still choose to be “real” and pursue happy and “upbeat” things in my Second Life. I will never understand the attraction of signing up for a massively immersive virtual environment, then relinquishing your “persona” to the control of another. But some, it seems, have this need, or desire, or just have such low self-esteem that they’re more comfortable with someone else in the “driver’s seat” of their virtual life. Wrong of me or anyone to judge, I’ve decided, and “live and let live” is the way to be, methinks.

You see, dear reader, I’ve learned something, here: SL is populated by “players”, and by “people”. They are one and the same, but then again, they’re not. If the guy or gal you take up with is deep in a perceived “RP”, then you may or may not be getting anything resembling truth from their tales, commentary, or claims of affection. "I love you" may mean, "You're dumb enough to believe this crap! ha ha!". That’s just a fact of Second Life.

I’ve been fortunate to find real business contacts, real people, and real social exchange in Second Life, and I’ve also had my brushes with the “gamers” who really don’t give damn who they hurt, in pursuit of their fantasy or “points” or perceived “advancement”. I still choose to remain somewhat naïve, vulnerable, and completely honest and open about who/what I am, as a man, as an avatar, and as a Second Life resident, but others do not, and that’s their right. One minute of genuine love, respect, integrity or companionship is worth every hour of pain when it all goes terribly wrong, in my view. Silly old romantic, I am, but it's my decision, just as biting folks may be someone else's.

There is an “upside” to the RP genre, for many, and I’m glad they share this wonderful platform for their activities, and some of my better friends and contacts are among them, often using “alts” for their dark and brooding “persona”, while appearing in another account as “normal”, whatever that means.

My only caution? Be careful with your heart, out there, and recognize that Second Life is like a tabloid newspaper; believe half of what you see, and none of what you hear, and take each day as it comes. Sow what you want to reap, and it’ll come back to ya, in spades! Sort of similar to First Life, isn’t it, after all?

9 comments:

Ammon Pera said...

...mtd rawr.

DeMerick Creeley said...

I certainly hope the anonymous poster who struck a chord with you comes forward so you can have a conversation. This blog should be about discussion and opening minds. As a philosopher, I want to see different viewpoints and challenges to what I think.

The reasons for BDSM lifestyles are as varied as the people who live them and methods within them. For some it may just be RP, particularly in Gorean sims, but for others it is something that is a part of them. Assumption that this is RP everywhere is a fallacy and could be dangerous.

lemonodo said...

if you are the most loving person you know how to be, no exception, you just might find love... else, not a chance...

Anonymous said...

Love the article MTD. You took us on a voyage there, discovering alongside you what makes people tick.

Never done roleplay in SL, I don't have the "silly gene" for it, but all power to those who have discovered it as a route to safe fun and virtual adventure.

Anonymous said...

I totally agree with your views on this. People do things for strange reasons. Each of us come to SL for reasons only known to us. If we choose to let others into our minds and hearts, we are opening doors for hurt. Most I believe are using SL to play a game, reap a reward or take out their personal frustrations on others, only because in their rl they have no balls. So anyone that is a bit real be careful. It may be you on the chopping block next week.

Siggy said...

The reasons folks sign up for a Second Life(R) experience are probably as varied as they are incomprehensible. I have, in the past, written about three basic "reasons" to enter SL; to "extend," to "escape," or to "entertain." It's not perfect and as an "extender" I don't have enough time to spend being a SL anthropologist developing intricate models of social structures.

But I think your comments on the reason why the "entertained" role player with significant physically challenges chooses to act as he does illustrates well the point that it is easy to make snap judgments about people in SL based solely on what their avatar does.

Like other people, I am no different in finding some activities practiced in SL rather odd, bewildering, or even perverse (in the original meaning of the word). But the soggy liberal in me can't get past the "live-and-let-live" attitude. The most irritating thing about the whole "Bloodlines" thing is that I don't like being hit with a request to join in with their role-play game by letting some stranger suck my ersatz blood. If the pop-up message were to include "Fuck off" as one of the options, I'd at least get a little frisson of pleasure ;)

Keep up the blogging MTD. Now, where is my Han Solo outfit...?

Anonymous said...

In reply to mtd and the commenters thus far, I would just like to say a few words, from the view point of a person that has been roleplaying on various forums for many years now.

Not everyone that chooses to roleplay does it as an attempt to fool people. Roleplay can be every bit as much a journey of self exploration as it can be a way to blow off steam and work through frustrations from your real life. Some of us choose to roleplay because it's satisfying in ways that other areas of our lives are not, for however briefly the roleplay scene lasts. When the play is over, we are still ourselves, still the player behind the character. Nothing has changed there, nor do we make any claims differently.

Roleplay is a form of expressive thought. Creative writing. It can be therapeutic, it can be enlightening. It has its sad moments, its happy moments. The same as real life, or any other form of online interaction.

It doesn't require a "silly gene" to roleplay, just a spark of creativity and the desire to tell a story in one form or another.

For those out there that use roleplay as a way to deceive and fool people, take advantage of them, they are every bit as much victimizers as the man that sits behind a computer screen, luring children into a sexual encounter by falsities. That's not a roleplayer. We who do roleplay, certainly do not advocate playing a role in order to hurt someone.

It is, after all, merely an expression of self, and a creative outlet for those involved.

And no, the entirety of Second Life certainly isn't a roleplay forum. People choose to portray themselves here just as much if not more so than they do a character. I think, though, that this is where the problem comes in. When people on opposite sides interact, sometimes without knowledge of what the other person is "here" for.

I guess maybe we should all be a bit more upfront and honest about things, and be more aware of who we're speaking with. Don't you agree?

Anonymous said...

I do enjoy your writing MTD. I am glad you took the time to see that RP is more varied than to be painted with a single brush stroke. SL is not RL and while some of us prefer to simply be "ourselves", in the end we should all be aware that the level of that we bring here will always vary. That another might come with the desire to experience something beyond their RL should not be written off as abnormal. This could include anything from being a vampire or their favorite animal to being able to walk.

We should learn to see these not as simple "lies" but rather accept the right we all have to express ourselves in SL. We should judge people not on who or what they are in SL rather on how they behave and treat others. That is a far better measure of a person. Handle your heart with caution, but we shouldn't necessarily close it to someone without getting to know the person within or without the RP.

Anonymous said...

Original anonymous commenter here, MTD. I have made a formal response to your two articles and posted them on my blog ... not because I'm being pretentious, but because it's nearly as long as yours ... lol.

Phantom Republic
(if the link doesn't work, check my profile inworld)