Click Ad to Tp or for LM

Wednesday, August 6, 2008

What career in SL interests you the most?


Second Life is a chance to explore ourselves and step outside the boundaries of RL. We can't fly or teleport in RL. We can't grow tails. Much of our RL is restricted by our chosen careers, but Second Life gives us freedom to identify and pursue interests--something that, many times, would require several years of college, seeking a new degree, to do in RL.


While some people do choose to bring their real life careers to SL, we rarely find someone who makes body shapes in RL, or someone who creates eyes (although a plastic surgeon and contact lens manufacturer may fall into these categories). Many DJs are exclusively SL DJs, photographers grow from the ease of taking a snapshot and knowledge of Photoshop despite having little photography experience in RL and clothing designers are more likely to be RL graphic designers than someone who creates RL fashions for a living. The joy of SL is in our freedom to explore all levels of our personalities and expand our skills and talents. Besides, who wants to log into SL and work doing what they've been doing at the office all day?


As for me, I actually am not into fashion or publishing in RL. But I can say openly I have the best magazine with the most coverage for any advertiser than any other hands down. I also have always played with integrity and will continue to do so while some I know do not. inV does not support these people or businesses in anyway and they are never welcome to anything inV related period. I also believe if you choose to work for anyone in sl you should be paid. SL is for everyone and is supposed to be fun. SL is about learning to take your interests and talents in RL and expand them in a new and exciting world. It's all about trying new things and exploring ourselves and each other in ways we perhaps never could in RL. How have you turned your RL skills into an SL career? Or what career in SL interests you the most?

16 comments:

Anonymous said...

I am not a fahion designer rl but am in here. I think that people get to caught up making something virtual rl. But what if sl is someones rl? Now we are talking about a whoe different game.

Anonymous said...

Its a virtual game anyone can be anything they wish. Quit judging people.

Anonymous said...

Don't conform Ammon those kinds of people are trouble. I am a new business owner and have had alts and notecards attacking me and my business. I'm not sure who but I can only assume its my competion.

Anonymous said...

Its tough opening any business now it seems like everything is saturated. I wanted to model but I'm not going to spend my time not getting any income and if so very little.

Anonymous said...

I just come in sl to relax and listen to music. I just want to stay away from all the drama of everyone. Does anyone really like anyone in sl?

Anonymous said...

I love to build furniture and I am a nurse in rl. I do it because I enjoy wether its good or not. People who come in sl are just jealous of others when threatened.

Ammon Pera said...

...for me this is for fun and working in sl can provide a nice second life without pulling money out of your rl bank accounts. I do believe if you work in sl just like rl you should be compensated accordingly.

Ammon Pera said...

...and about conforming. Don't worry I didn't in the beginning and definetly won't now. I always say I rather fail being myself than succeeding being someone else any day. :))

Anonymous said...

Very true. I've been in Sl for almost 3 years and I have seen jealousy at it's worst. I have learned when people spread lies about individuals they are low lifes.

Anonymous said...

Can make some wise assumptions with who people hang out with. If their friends are trouble they aren't far behind. Be careful.

Anonymous said...

great saying Ammon.

Anonymous said...

I'd like to add to the comments about their friends and also to check their groups. Group association shows alot and where their loyalty is. If the person of the group is bad new red flags.

Anonymous said...

A certian well know model agency is the biggest quacks around. I am a ex model there and I will have no association with them ever again. KC is the cadieset queen around. He only likes you if he get something from you and it's usually your name to build his failing one.

Anonymous said...

He offered me free mall space for my name. This above statement is very true. I think I'll keep my name thanks and not share it with or be associated with him.

Anonymous said...

Well this went from commenting about working in SL to cutting someone down who is "not named" here, but we all know who it is! Remember, it's all fuel to the egomaniacs fire... no press is bad press...
But I digress- I love my work in SL. That is what SL is for, to do what YOU love on your terms. I really find solace in going to a sim, store, gallery, etc. and literally seeing what someone envisioned and created. You literally get to walk through someone's ideas. Not that we don't do that everyday in RL, but the chance for ANYONE to create opens doors for so many. I'm putting the finishing touches on our sim, and it's a total act of love. If you are not happy with what you do in RL, it's harder to quit, but don't do something in SL you don't LOVE! That's just ridiculous. lol... You can tell Ammon LOVES what he does! =)

lemonodo said...

dj! gallery owner! poet! what else? second pride builder! sl is way fun...sometimes helps with rl...but more...it is its own thing...