Click Ad to Tp or for LM

Tuesday, August 5, 2008

Are you your own twin?



Second Life provides the opportunity to challenge the identities we carry in RL. Avatar creation is the first experience we have with portraying ourselves in the virtual world. For some, this means changing everything--hair, height, eyes--and experiencing life as the person they've always wanted to be. Others choose to demonstrate their real selves (minus a few imperfections) through recreation of their likenesses in Second Life.

How much does the RL you look like the SL you? Seeing this picture made me wonder about the approaches people take when designing their av's. Is SL a reflection of your physical self or a digital makeover? In the end, even the most gorgeous avatar loses it's charm if the person behind the wheel has a rotten personality. Perhaps it just boils down to the Second Life expectations you hold for yourself and others. If you would consider taking something RL, would a more accurate avatar be the better route to go or do you just accept that the sexy guy or girl you cyber with could be a horse in real life?

17 comments:

Anonymous said...

Never thought about it before but my av holds certain characteristics of my rl self.

Anonymous said...

i could only wish I looked like my av.

Anonymous said...

LMAO Brilliant. I am actually a women in rl playing a man. shhhh

Anonymous said...

I could only dream of looking like my avatar.

Anonymous said...

I often wonder what the avatar looks like in rl. Now I don't obbsess about it but it is a curiosity. I do believe in privacy and the respect of peoples rl lives. For me my avatar is just an imagination.

DeMerick Creeley said...

I remember an art class (the one where I really started liking art--way back in Junior High) where we learned to draw faces. The art teacher told us that our faces would probably bear a resemblance to ourselves and she was right. Perhaps many people do that with their avs subconsciously.

Anonymous said...

LMAO at horse. This is excellent fun.

Anonymous said...

Creating your look reflects you or what you would like to be. I also agree buying a shape and following the notecard is lack of originality.boring

Anonymous said...

This site has become my favorite place to blog. Great job to the daily staff.

Anonymous said...

Of course I would LOVE to look like Bibe! Not that I would actually do anything about it... ummmmm.... http://www.flickr.com/photos/voight721/2568803326/

Anonymous said...

my avie is about 25 years younger looking than my rl.

Anonymous said...

mine is about 150 pounds heavier.

Anonymous said...

Me too my av has some characteristics of me but no flaws. I actually like my flaws in rl gives me character makes me me.

Ammon Pera said...

...bibe lol. I would love to look like Ammon too. Isn't it true we always want what we dont have. Damn it where is my plastic surgeons number? For me personally if I'm not happy with something sl or rl have it modified. I am all for plastics.

Anonymous said...

You ony live once

Chavi Skomoroklov said...

I'd wish.. in SL i messure 6'3 or something, in RL 5'8. Should I go on?? Nah, better not. :-)))

I think that most of us, man and women alike, look what they'd fancy to look like. So many beautiful people, fantastic hair and 6-8-pacs...

But, isn't that also the charm of SL??

Chavi Skomoroklov

Anonymous said...

Well I read somewhere recently (probably here lol) that if you are unhappy in RL, you will bring that into SL. I'm a pretty happy person in RL thanks to a healthy dose of self esteem that comes from god knows where- however I do think a lot of people go into SL to be more confident, as they don't have to present themselves to the world the same way, they can do it on *their* terms. But what you get is what you get in my view, and if you don't like it, not really my problem.