Click Ad to Tp or for LM

Sunday, August 10, 2008

What's My Alternative ?

Adian's Alt

Alternative Music, Alternative Lifestyles and Alternative Avatars…

I confess: I have an Alt, another account on Second Life with a different name and a different avatar. He’s like my older brother, clueless: he can’t dance, he’s shy with girls and insists on lecturing me every chance he gets. If he didn’t pay my Tier Fee, give me an allowance and maybe have a point about my late nights, I’d toss him in a prim-wood box and delete the Landmark.

Additional accounts are easy to get in Second Life (free or 9.95US$ depending on how many you already have) and with a new skin, shape and a minimal wardrobe you can start fresh in a second, third or even tenth Second Life. But try choosing a better name than Joe1234.

Alts are created for many different reasons. In general I think they are viewed with suspicion and thought to belong to griefers, philandering lovers, spies and blackmailing criminals trying to cloak their identity.

However there are other reasons for having an Alt:
  • Creators, educators and business reps can enjoy some playtime.
  • L$ can be stored in an Alt’s Bank Account reducing the risk of losses.
  • Inventory can be backed up if the items are Transferable.
  • Role-players can choose names appropriate for each RP Community.
  • Ex-partners, stalkers and (___) can be avoided.
  • Photographers can use their alts as additional models.
  • Neko writers can investigate Gorean cities without fear of enslavement.
Snap! A spying griefer Alt is blackmailing me and I think it’s my older brother.
I’m rezzing the prim-wood box.
^;^ Adian Brouwer
What are your thoughts on Alts? What is your reason for having one?

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

I myself do not have an alt. I find no reason to create one. Better to just be you, stand tall, do for yourself and make it known who you are. As for storing money, ha ha ha, who has any to store? I spend, spend,spend to no end. GOT TO HAVE you know. If there is a stalker, an x love, MUTE works for me. Why run and hide? Children do that in a game of Hide & Seek.

Anonymous said...

and Children do seem to be having more fun ;)

Anonymous said...

I admit to having a couple of alts - different purposes and it makes no sense to mix the roles. Also, my corporate avi has no ties to my personal avi and vice versa. As a sim admin, I have an alt for that, so I can enjoy my personal second life without a barrage of whining, stupidity and "he said - she said" to sort through 7x24 that is part and "parcel" of being a sim admin.

So there are legitimate purposes for alts, but basically, it takes MORE time away from having fun, having a partner, and generally enjoying one's second life - use alts wisely - they'll eat you alive. Mmmmmmmmmmm.